Art. 1 - Organisation.
THE MOUNTAIN RACE TRANSVULCANIA 2013 SALOMON NATURE TRIALS, is organized by the Council of Environment and Tourism of the Inter-Island Council of La Palma, with the collaboration from the Sports Council and different institutes and sponsors.
Art. 2 - Race.
THE MOUNTAIN RACE TRANSVULCANIA 2013 SALOMON NATURE TRIALS (from here on TRANSVULCANIA 2013), is a mountain race that crosses the island of La Palma through two paths of great distance, (GR130 and GR131) with the starting point in El Faro of Fuencaliente and the finishing point in Los Llanos de Aridane for the Ultramarathon of 83 kilometres and starting point in El Faro of Fuencaliente, and finishing point in El Refugio of El Pilar for the Half-marathon of 26 kilometres.
The race will begin on the 11th of May, 2013 from 06.00am.
Art.3 - Regulations.
All participants will strictly comply with the rules for TRANSVULCANIA 2013. Any incidents in the race will be resolved by the TRANSVULCANIA 2013 panel made up of a Race Director, an Organization Member, a Runner Representative, a Judge Referee, and a Functionary of the Inter-Island Council of La Palma.
• Participation will be open to all those people that formalize the REGISTRATION correctly. In addition they should present the PROOF OF PAYMENT, by mail or by fax (detailed further on) to be considered as a participating runner in TRANSVULCANIA 2013.
• A DISCLAIMER OF RESPONSIBILITY, which can be downloaded from the official website of the race, must be filled in, signed and presented in the moment of collecting the race bib/number a day before the race, at the time and in the place determined in advance by the Organization.
• Participants should respect the means in which they do the race and keep the environment clean. They should eat and drink WITHOUT LEAVING ANY CONTAINER OUT OF THE RECEPTICLES LEFT FOR THAT USE. THE INCOMPLIENCE OF THIS POINT WILL LEAD TO THE RUNNER‘S IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION . This can be done by a simple testimony from any member of race Organization team.
• In the Ultramarathon, the participation of under 18’s is not permitted, while in the Half-marathon, runners of 16 and 17 years can participate, if they have provided a fully completed parental authorization.
• This is a race of great endurance through the mountain and therefore we recommend a good level of physical fitness, that of which can negotiate the considerable slopes which occur throughout the race over difficult terrain.
• It is totally prohibited to receive outside help or supplies during the course of the race other that at the points set out by the Organization. In the same way it is prohibited to run accompanied by other people that are not registered participants of the race.
• The race bibs are issued on the 10th of May in the designated time and place by the Organization. Without any exception at all, race bibs should only be collected by runners personally. The participants must present the proof of payment the federation license or one-day insurance, the completed disclaimer of responsibility and the DNI or any other legal identification documents. The under-18 runners, (those between 16 and 17 years of age) that participate in the Half-marathon, should also present, as well as the documents mentioned before, a parental authorisation, properly completed and signed. This can be downloaded from the race’s official website.
• RACE BIBS CAN NOT BE COLLECTED ON THE DAY OF THE RACE.
• Race bibs must be worn at all times in a visible place and can not be cut, folded or modified.
The TRANSVULCANIA 2013 runner should wear at all times, the races identification vest provided by the Organization, worn with the corresponding race bib of their participation. FAILURE TO COMPLY TO THIS, WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION OF THE RUNNER. On said vest is printed the telephone number of the races emergency device, which can only be used in case of emergency or rescue of the runner.
• The distance of the race is approximately 83,3km with the accumulated slopes of 8.525 meters (4.415 ascending and 4.110 descending for the Ultramarathon ) and of 26,8km with the accumulated slopes of 2.910 meters (2.180 ascending and 730 descending ) for the Half-marathon
• This race runs in its entirety for two paths of great distance, the GR130 and the GR131, without hardly contacting any population cores with the exception of the arrival in the town of Los Llanos de Aridane, a small stretch leading through the town of Los Canarios and another stretch in the harbour of Tazacorte.
The race’s route will be indicated by marker tape and signs specifically created for the race. The route planner used will be publicised in the race’s official web page. Any change or modification will be made public by the same means.
• The route is not closed to traffic, therefore athletes must take extreme precautions and respect the road’s highway code.
• At crossing points on the road, there will be Organization staff and security measures, as well as medical services at certain places along the entire route. These items are properly signposted and duly specified on the races route planner.
• During the course of the race participants MUST HEED THE MEMBERS OF THE RACE ORGANIZATION at all times. Failure to comply with this point will result in immediate disqualification.
The race will be controlled by means of an electronic Champion-Chip system. The participants will receive a chip which they should carry the entire way. The Organization have control points located along the race to ensure that the runners complete the route, as well as recording the running times for each one. The chip should be handed in at the finishing point, or at the closest control point should the runner withdraw from the race.
• The runners will have a maximum time limit of 18 hours to complete the race. Furthermore there is a set maximum time to pass control 4 (Refugio de El Pilar) of six hours (12:00pm) for the Ultramarathon and eight hours ( 14:00pm) for the runners of the Half-marathon The following maximum time limits have also been set for the Ultramarathon runners: control point 8 (Roque De Los Muchachos) of twelve hours (18:00) and control point 10 (Puerto de Tazacorte) of seventeen hours (23:00). All those participants that arrive with a higher time, will be disqualified. Those whom wish to continue will have to hand in the race bib and the chip but may carry on out of the race under their own responsibility.
• During the course of the race, any runner that abandons the race are OBLIGED to advise the nearest control point or a member of the Organization team.
• All runners must carry MANDATORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT, which can be checked at the start, finish or at any point of the race. This should consist of: hydration system (type camelback or waist belt with the minimum capacity of 1 litre) headlamp, red light for back position, thermal blanket, and a mobile phone with the number provided at the registration, although this may only be used in case of emergency, withdrawal or rescue. In the case of the Half-marathon runners, the thermal blanket and the hydration system may be ignored, although they are highly recommended. Those athletes that do not carry the mandatory safety equipment, can not continue with the race and will be disqualified.
• The Organization have a deposit at the refreshment/aid point for those runners that wish to get rid of any race material such as canes, clothes leggings etc. The Organization only take responsibility for material properly identified and left at these points, and be responsible to take them to the finish point in Los Llanos de Aridane when said refreshment/aid point has closed.
There will be a minimum of 14 refreshment/aid points (5 solids and 9 liquids) plus a final refreshment point at the end of the Ultramarathon comprising of water and isotonic drinks and of a variety of fruits, energy bars, rolls, dried fruit, and pastries, depending on whether it is a refreshment or other.
• The image rights resulting in the TRANSVULCANIA 2013 exclusively belong to the race Organization and any use of the same, by company or individual shall be allowed or recognized by the organization.
• Registration is made by mail, by filling in the form of participation through this website in addition to the corresponding entry of the registration fee to the bank account detailed below. Said deposit must indicate in legible letters, the participants name (only one per deposit) and in addition the term TRANSVULCANIA 2013 in the section ‘’concept’’.
Savings account: 3076 0170 81 2180622827
IBAN (for electronic transactions International Bank Account Number): ES37 3076 0170 8121 8062 2827
IBAN (for non-electronic transactions International Bank Account Number): ES37 3076 0170 8121 8062 2827
BIC (Bank Swift Code): BCOEESMM076
• When the Organization has correctly received the bank transfer and has checked the provided documentation (only the receipt of payment) the registration can be formalized, appearing on the regularly updated list of participants.
• The deadline for the registration for TRANSVULCANIA 2013 is between the 16th May 2012 and the 23rd April 2013, at 12:00pm. There will be a maximum limit on the number of participating runners for both the Ultramarathon (1000 places) and the Half-marathon (500), so the registration period will be conditioned by the number of runners that will be writing up to that date. Once the number of participants has been closed, ( in the case of covering the maximum number of entries) a reserve list will be created to fill up any drop outs that could occur until the final acceptance date of the applications (23 April, 2013).
• Participants of Transvulcania 2013 must be licensed members of a sport federation which covers physical injuries or damages during mountain races like Transvulcania in Spain. Being the participant not a holder of such a license, he/she must purchase a one-day federation insurance (see the official Transvulcania’s website) which will be internationally recognized and valid as the license from a sports federation.
• The REGISTRATION FEE will be controlled by the following terms of payment:
Period of Payment
From 16 May to 30 September
From 1st October to 31 December
From 1st January to 23 April
• These prices will have a reduction of 50% in all sections for all juvenile and junior runners ( 16 and 17 years ) that participate in the Half-marathon
• The registration in the TRANSVULCANIA 2013, includes:
• Participation in the race.
• Solid and liquid refreshments during the race.
• Refreshments at finishing point.
• Transport service to the exit from established Organization points.
• Transport service from arrival to established Organization points.
• Transfer of personal bag of each runner from the start of El Faro in Fuencaliente until both the arrival at the finishing line in Los Llanos de Aridane ( Ultramarathon ) and that of El Refugio of El Pilar (Half-marathon)
• Assistance during the race through the medical device and security set by the Organization.
• Transport service to the finishing line for those participants that abandon the race.
• Showers, changing rooms, and massages in the service area situated in Los Llanos de Aridane.
• Chiropodist service for runners of the Ultramarathon.
• Food for the runner in the service area once awards are concluded (up to a maximum of three guests ) .
• Runners bag.
• Commemorative T-shirt.
• Finisher shirt for those runners that complete the Ultramarathon inside the time established by the Organization of 18 hours.
• Finisher certificate.
• Registration is personal and non transferable and implies the acceptance of these rules. From the moment the registration is paid, the Organization agrees to return 100% of the amount paid by the runner, if the non participation is justified, before the 1st of December 2012. From that date until the 11th of February 2013, 50% of the contribution paid by the runner, shall be returned, and from this date on there will be no fee refund in the event of non participation, for whatever reason.
• The Organization agrees to return the amount paid by the runner after registrations for TRANSVULCANIA 2013 have been closed. Please, bear it in mind that bank comissions will be charged to you.
• In the event that the runner does not participate in the race on the 11th May, for whatever reason, the organization is not obliged to give any souvenir ( neither runner’s bag nor commemorative T-shirt ) once the TRANSVULCANIA 2013 is over.
In the event that the race is suspended before it starts, the Organization will proceed to refund the registration fee to all those runners registered.
• Bad weather will not be an impediment to the realization of the race, although the Organization reserves the right to suspend or modify the route if it sees fit to do so, above all, if they feel that the physical integrity of the runners may be impaired.
• Any participant of the TRANSVULCANIA 2013 that wishes to make a claim to the race Organization, must submit a deposit of 50 Euros, only to be returned should such claim is favourable to the claimant.
• The Organization will not be held responsible for any objects left inside the personal bags that are transported to the finishing line.
• The participant exempts the Organization from any liability for injury and/or accident.
Categories and prizes
The awards ceremony is held at approximately 20:00pm on the day of the race’s celebration.
A trophy is given to the three classified awards of the following categories:
• Senior Male Category ( between 18 and 44 years ).
• Senior Female Category ( between 18 and 39 years ).
• Veteran Male Category ( between 45 and 55 years ).
• Veteran Female Category ( between 40 and 50 years ).
• Platinum Male Category ( from 56 years of age ).
• Platinum Female Category ( from 51 years of age ).
• Absolute Male Category ( from 18 years of age ).
• Absolute Female Category ( from 18 years of age ).
• The mode of participation within these categories will be announced by the organization with sufficient time and by the usual means.
• Prizes are cumulative.
• It is essential that the winners are present a the time of the awards ceremony, provided that the runner is not still competing, in which case the organization of TRANSVULCANIA 2013 will not be obliged to send the trophy to the winner, it should be picked in a place and at a time determined by the Organization during the week after the celebration of the race.
In addition to reasons previously mentioned, the Organization may disqualify a participant of the race if found that:
• The runner has not passed all control points.
• The runner has not made all the route marked out by the Organization by foot.
• The runner has not rendered assistance to any other participant that needed it.
• The runner has not worn the race bib in a visible frontal place specified by the Organization.
These regulations can be corrected, modified or improved at any time by the Organization.
The completion of the registration demonstrates the approval of the participant of these regulations.